Visit the NEW CSI Store!

First Online Committee - Introduction
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

10/19/2016 at 9:48:01 PM GMT
First Online Committee - Introduction

Hello, fellow online and on-campus counseling students, and thanks for joining us in this forum space! I will fill the role of CSI-NSC Online Committee chair for the 2016-2017 academic year, alongside Brandi Gibson who is serving as a committee member. We are proud to represent the Department of Counselor Education’s first distance education cohort for the Masters in Counseling degree! (Brandi and I are both 2nd-year students in the Clinical Mental Health Concentration.) 

Even though we periodically travel to campus for class meetings, online education students can otherwise feel disconnected from department events or find it difficult to attend functions due to distance barriers. Therefore, the goal of this committee is to help our classmates feel connected to the department and CSI activities.

There are a few steps we've already taken to make membership and participation easier:

·        Streaming the monthly society meetings via the CSI-NSC Facebook page (the future of this may hinge on funding from CSI to purchase a dedicated device.)

·        Providing a light dinner for those who travel to campus for monthly meetings

·        Creating this forum space and offering personal connections/representatives to bridge the gap

However, there may be more we can do, such as video record workshops or segments of local conferences for those who cannot attend in person.  We would love to hear from any and all members who have suggestions. We also welcome a few more committee members so let us know if you are interested!

Thanks and I look forward to working together!

All the best,

Chrissy DeCarolis

Last edited Wednesday, October 19, 2016
10/20/2016 at 12:20:24 AM GMT
Hello Chrissy. Thank you to you and Brandi for serving on this committee. It is wonderful that Nu Sigma Chi has a team that is focusing on the distance education cohorts.

The programs that you have implemented so far sound great, and I wanted to let you know that your ideas for professional development have been successful in other CSI chapters. Offering recordings or live broadcasts of events is definitely a viable option, and several chapters have even started offering their own webinars to members.

Thank you again for your service to Nu Sigma Chi!

10/21/2016 at 3:32:23 AM GMT
Hi Stephen, and thanks so much for your response!
It is great to know that event recordings and webinars are being valued by other chapters - this is something we would love to incorporate this year.

Please let us know if you have any more ideas to share in the future!

All the best,
Chrissy

3/20/2018 at 10:45:28 AM GMT
Hi, Chrissy and Brandi.

I am new to the chapter this semester and am a distance ed student in Cohort 2. From what I understand informally from other members, the live streaming of monthly meetungs is ongoing. I would love to get confirmation of that and related details, along with any other updates of interest to those of us farther afield from Raleigh. Thank you!