Print Page   |   Register
Search

Visit the NEW CSI Store!

Sigma Upsilon Rho
Group HomeGroup Home Blog Home Group Blogs
Search all posts for:   

 

View all (6) posts »
 

Meeting Minutes 4/5/2017

Posted By Shannon Talley, Friday, April 7, 2017

The meeting began at 4:30pm in the Counseling Lab of South University. The  meeting was called by Dr. Miller and we discussed the following:

1. Mental Health Awareness (MHA) Month is coming up. We would like to organize a table at South that would highlight CSI and Mental Health Awareness. Table ideas include:

-Handouts (Dr. Miller has a stress inventory we can use)

-Literature from CSI as well as MHA (Shannon to browse the MHA website and find more ideas to share at the next meeting.)

-Referral information and Support groups and networks - James to talk to Dean Batton to get a list of these available to share.  

- Gym memberships and nutrition management- we need someone to research this to put together some local reduced fee gyms and nutritionist or wellness programs to share as part of stress management. Please contact James Harris or Shannon Talley.

- We need some Talk one to one flyers copied for the tables. 

- The tables will be set up during the day, preferably during lunch so that we can catch the most students. They do not need to be manned continuously, but if a volunteer is available while they are up, that would be the most beneficial. We would like to have the tables set up once a week at a minimum, on alternating days (i.e. monday the first week, and tuesday the second week, etc.) in order to catch the most students. 

-It is IMPORTANT that we do not consider these tables as "individual counseling sessions". These tables are for stress management ideas, appropriate referrals, and overall CSI and MHA information sharing. 

- We will be making homemade "stress balls" as well as having bubbles. Flyers on how to create these and the supples needed will be provided.

2. In addition to the tables, we discussed creating workshops that will be created by CSI members with Dr. Miller and Dr. Barnes guidance and approval. Ideally the workshops will be geared towards a need that we feel will have the most impact with our student population: Stress Management. The workshop ideas that we discussed were: 

-  Having the workshops during class time in one of the nursing classes, with the approval of the professor. These could last an hour or hour and half, depending on needs and availability. 

- The workshops could look like this: Two or more students presenting by defining stress, explaining the function of stress, and talking about ways to manage the stress, as well as include a demonstration of breathing techniques, mindfulness activities, and/or progressive muscle relaxation techniques. 

- The workshops are something that future CSI members can build on and use in their activities, so keep that in mind. We want it to be useful, successful, and something that can be used by future members.

- We discussed how we can possibly create an experimental design to quantify the success of the program, but that may entail things that we don't have the time or manpower for, especially if we need to include the IRB. Further discussion to be held on this. 

3. We discussed the upcoming Inductions, to be held on May 20th at 1:00pm. RSVP on this website (Dr. Miller has emailed everyone a link). Induction information: 

- 22 members are eligible. Dr. Miller is sending out the emails. 

- Possible speaker was discussed and James Harris suggested an LPC that was active in the VCA legislative Day. He is emailing her an invitation. We may need ideas for a secondary in case she is unavailable that date. 

- The induction will be combined with a graduation party. This will increase our number of attendees, and simultaneously give us a chance to recognize our graduating members. (Congrats!!)

3. Although there is not a current incoming cohort this quarter, we could still go forth with developing a mentoring system for current students. This could also be a simple way to keep our alums active in CSI as well as create a better support network for all members of CSI. 

4. Keep your dues active! CSI dues are due for renewal annually, at a cost of $50. Although many of us are up for renewal, CSI has not sent any emails to remind us so it is our responsibility to log on and pay (There is a link on the right side of the screen on this website, in gold). It is unclear whether unpaid dues will keep you from graduating with your CSI tassel, but it is probable. In addition, your renewal dues allow CSI to fund activities and future CSI group memberships. If you would like to continue membership but are experiencing a hardship and cannot pay at the moment, please discuss this with Dr. Miller, Dr. Barner, Shannon Talley, or James Harris for other options. We do not want to lose ANY members because of this!

5. The next meeting is scheduled for 4/22 after seminar

The meeting commenced at 5:30pm

This post has not been tagged.

Share |
Permalink | Comments (0)
 
Sign In


Calendar

1/30/2020 » 2/1/2020
CSI at ASGW 2020: Becoming a Servant Leader: Collaborating to Nurture Change (Pre-Conference)

1/30/2020 » 2/1/2020
CSI at ASGW 2020: Clinical Excellence to Promote Community Wellness after the Storm

1/30/2020 » 2/1/2020
CSI at ASGW 2020: Servant Leader Community Responsiveness and Advocacy

FollowCSI

 
 
 
JCLA