Learn about the following on this page:
New chapters of Chi Sigma Iota may be established in nationally accredited counselor education training programs (CACREP or CORE). The following information includes both steps and policies for forming and maintaining an active CSI chapter. Only active chapters are eligible to participate in CSI elections, initiate new members, and receive annual rebates.
Chapter rebates are an ongoing engagement and chapter assistance program of the Chi Sigma Iota Headquarters Office. Active chapters that meet all requirements to receive rebates are provided this benefit automatically every year. Chapters that do not meet the requirements to remain active, that have not met the requirements to be eligible to receive rebates, that are not in good standing, or which otherwise have current organizational, legal or disciplinary matters in review by the CSI Executive Council may have rebates withheld, all or in part, depending on the outcome of such a review. Rebates currently are $10 per active annual member. Rebate checks are mailed to the Primary Chapter Faculty Advisor in June of each year. Rebate checks must be cashed within the fiscal year in which they are issued. No uncashed rebate checks will be reissued or replaced once the fiscal year is over. Chapters requesting replacement of rebate checks may be assessed a processing fee to cover costs for staff and bookkeeper time and potential bank charges.
In order to establish a chapter, there must be at least two members of the regular full time counseling program faculty who are doctoral counselor education graduates (CACREP preferably) and who are active CSI members or eligible and willing to be members and serve as CFAs as needed. Such faculty applying for membership shall have their highest degree from a counselor education program and hold as their primary identity that of professional counselor.
A campus based residency is one of the defining characteristics of a campus based chapter. The campus residency involves opportunities for CSI members and faculty to meet individually, in small groups, and for presentations and ceremonies for educational, social, and professional purposes. CSI functions are expected to be a part of the co-curricular activities of the counselor education program some of which will be associated with the residency experiences.
Requirements for Maintaining Active Chapter Status
Active chapters serve members best when they plan, implement, and assess their efforts to recognize and promote excellence. As a consequence, to maintain active chapter status and remain eligible to receive annual rebates and to initiate new members, a chapter must:
- Submit an Annual Report by April 30th (present officers) at least once every two years.*
- Submit an Annual Plan by September 30th (incoming officers) at least once every two years.*
- Recruit and initiate new members at least once every two years.
- Have a representative attend an annual CSI Delegate Business Meeting on CSI Day at least once every three years.
- Comply with CSI policies as determined by the Executive Council (e.g., only authorized uses of the CSI registered logo)
- Send CSI Headquarters contact information of officers including the Chapter Faculty Advisor(s) annually and when there are changes.
To endorse and subsequently initiate new members, the chapter also must have a Chapter Faculty Advisor who is an active member of CSI as required in the CSI Bylaws.
- 9.2 Each Chapter shall have a designated full time counselor education faculty member serve as Chapter Faculty Advisor of Chi Sigma Iota who shall be responsible for all correspondence between the Headquarters office and chapter members.
- 9.2.1 The Chapter Faculty Advisor and the second full time Counselor Educator (counselor education doctorate, preferably CACREP) who is agreeable to serving as Chapter Faculty Advisor in the event of such a need shall be active (dues paying or life) members of the Society.
It is a chapter's responsibility to comply, but Headquarters may be contacted for help determining current active chapter status. CSI is open to alternative methods of serving our members (their students and graduates) but we are resolved that every member must have readily available access to their Chapter Faculty Advisor and regular activities of their chapters including opportunity for mentoring, participation in chapter service projects, nomination for offices, awards, grants, fellowships, etc. Chapters may be deactivated for failure to do so. The above reports help us to determine compliance.
When a chapter fails to maintain active chapter status, they may be categorized as inactive. The chapter status indicated on the chapter profile will indicate one of the following categories based on the last inactivated date:
- Pending (inactive less than one year)
- Inactive (inactive 1-5 years)
- Removed (inactive more than 5 years)
* It is highly recommended that active chapters submit annual reports and annual plans each year, so that new officers may develop leadership skills through meeting CSI requirements. Chapter reports are reviewed annually and continued active chapter status requires that CSI guidelines and policies are consistently followed in chapter activities.
Establishing a New Chapter
New chapters of CSI may only be established in nationally accredited counselor education programs (CACREP and/or CORE).
To apply to charter a new CSI chapter:
- Review the Guidelines for Chartering Chapters (pdf)
- Complete the New Chapter Application
- Submit the $150 payment. Payment made be made via online payment using a credit card or PayPal, or an invoice may be requested to pay the fee by a university/chapter purchase order or check.
** Please note that New Chapter Applications will be reviewed within 30 days once ALL application materials are received including CSI Membership for proposed CFAs.
You will need the following materials to complete the New Chapter Application:
Reactivating a Chapter
Chapters that do not meet the Requirements for Maintaining Active Chapter Status will be declared inactive and unable to vote in CSI elections, initiate new members, or receive chapter rebates until reactivation criteria have been met. To reactivate a chapter, there must be at least two full time counseling program faculty who are doctoral counselor education graduates (CACREP preferably), active CSI members or eligible to be members, and willing to serve as the Chapter Faculty Advisor and Back-Up CFA as needed.
Reactivating chapters must be located in nationally accredited counselor education programs (CACREP and/or CORE) or those that commit to obtaining accreditation within five years, per the requirements set forth in the CSI Bylaws.
To apply to reactivate a CSI chapter:
- Review the requirements for maintaining active chapter status (above).
- Complete the Chapter Reactivation Form.
** Please note that Chapter Reactivations will be reviewed within 30 days once ALL application materials are received including active CSI Membership for proposed CFAs.
You will need the following materials to complete the Chapter Reactivation Form:
For more information and assistance starting or reactivating a chapter, contact email@example.com. Be sure to download the Chapter Leadership Manual to read about suggestions for developing and maintaining active chapters, as well as CSI policies applicable to chapters.