Visit the NEW CSI Store!

Books That Help Me Become a Better Counselor
Moderator(s): CSI ForumAdmin
| 2 | 3
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Author Latest Post
Mothers Who Kill Their Children: Understanding the Acts of Moms... 0 K. Webster Mothers Who Kill Their Children: Understanding the Acts of Moms from Susan Smith to the "Prom Mom" Book Being Reviewed: Meyer, C.L., & Oberman, M. (2001). Mothers who kill their children: Understanding the acts of moms from Susan Smith to the “Prom Mom”. New York, NY: New York University Press. Reviewer: Kevin Webster Genre: Non-Fiction - Adult Subject Headings: Crime, Female lifespan development, Family dynamics, Poverty-urban, Poverty-rural, Social justice, Violence-domestic Review: In the eyes of the public and the media, a mother is often cast as murderer, abuser, or psychopath when she kills her child. Meyer and Oberman (2001) challenge the descriptions given to mothers who kill. Criminal assumptions prevent clinicians, judges, jurors, and the community at large from understanding the true developmental nature of the problem. The authors describe shared intrapersonal, interpersonal, and societal obstacles facing mothers and pregnant women today. The book clarifies how clinicians and helpers can understand the psychological and societal conditions of motherhood that contribute to this social problem. The authors found mothers overburdened by poverty, adolescent motherhood, domestic violence, sexual assault, poor education, childhood sexual abuse, mental illness, and isolation. Infanticide and filicide is set against cultural and societal expectations that motherhood can only be a joyous and welcomed transition. Prevailing assumptions lead to decreased social support during a time of increasing stress. This book is important for counselors because the authors present a population of mothers that have slipped through the cracks of mental health outreach. The book begs the reader to strive for an empathic, nonjudgmental perspective of an issue that, at first glance, seems steeped in immorality and punishment. By providing a typology of women who commit this crime, counselors can recognize the significant risk factors that contribute to this unique dilemma. If we as mental health and other wellness professionals can identify, mitigate, and help solve the psychosocial stressors that make infanticide and filicide an option for some mothers, we can also be part of the solution.
by K. Webster
Friday, January 27, 2017
The Checklist Manifesto: How To Get Things Right 0 T. Murphy The Checklist Manifesto: How To Get Things RightBook Being Reviewed: Gawande, A. (2009). The checklist manifesto: How to get things right. New York: MetropolitanReviewer:Thomas MurphyGenre: Non-Fiction - AdultSubject Headings: CollegeReview: How does one battle the ever increasing complexity encountered in the mental health field? The answer may rest in Atul Gawande's The Checklist Manifesto. Gawande (Being Mortal, Complications), a thoracic surgeon and longtime writer for The New Yorker, illuminates the power of the mundane checklist and demonstrates how complex tasks like surgery, architecture and flying airplanes are made safer and more efficient through their use. Clinical mental health counseling students and clinicians can benefit from learning how to apply checklists to the increasingly complex systems encountered in community agencies, hospitals and even private practice. How many of us has forgotten an important element in an Informed Consent or left out necessary information from a Behavioral Health Assessment? A checklist may be a simple, but powerful answer to that conundrum. Gawande's great strength as a writer is his ability to dive into myriad disciplines and cogently describe elegant solutions to complex issues. His chapter on hospital infections details how the implementation of a checklist virtually eliminated one type of infection common to intensive care patients. Counseling interns and clinicians may find solutions to some of the difficulties they encounter as they develop professional skills.
by T. Murphy
Thursday, April 21, 2016
Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget 0 C. Adams Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to ForgetBook Being Reviewed: Hepola, S. (2015). Blackout: Remembering the things I drank to forget [Kindle version]. Retrieved from Amazon.comReviewer:Charmayne AdamsGenre: Memoir/BiographySubject Headings: Career, Female lifespan development, Relationships, Substance abuse-alcohol Review: Blackout: Remembering the Things I Drank to Forget is a memoir depicting the life of a women struggling with alcohol addiction. The author shares her experience of nights she doesn’t remember, career pressure that seems to encourage alcohol as a muse for writing, relationships slowly crumbling, and a decline into a world that becomes hard for her to recognize. She talks about the struggles of attempting to quit multiple times and the hidden world of women who abuse alcohol. The book is fairly short and the content was not different to read, the writing style was easy to understand and follow. This text can assist counselors in many ways, especially as the world of women with alcohol abuse disorders comes to the forefront of addiction counseling. Hepola depicts a world full of hurt, damaged self-esteem, and shame that could be used to help counselors empathize with clients caught in the grips of addiction. The second half of the books chronicles the author’s journey through recovery. This book was easy to read and could be used as a recommended read for clients or a resource for counselors.
by C. Adams
Thursday, April 21, 2016
Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption 0 N. Golubovic Broken: My Story of Addiction and RedemptionBook Being Reviewed: Moyers, W. C., & Ketcham, K. (2007). Broken: My story of addiction and redemption. New York, NY: Penguin Books. Reviewer:Nedeljko GolubovicGenre: Non-Fiction - Adult Memoir/BiographySubject Headings: Substance abuse-alcohol, Substance abuse-drugs Review: Broken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption by William Cope Moyers is an emotional testimony about a life hurdled with addiction. Moyers gives the readers an honest portrayal of his path from a privileged life as a son of a famous broadcaster, Bill Moyers; to his descent into a life torn by addiction; and his hard fought battle to recovery. The author provides the readers with an inside look of what it is like to have an addiction. From early experiences and reasons he started using drugs "I turned to marijuana, and it never failed to give me an instant relief” to the realization that the drugs had taken over his life "everything is my life included alcohol, marijuana, and cocaine,” the author described how shame and guilt contributed to his continuous use and how the stigma he felt (everywhere he went) prevented him from seeking help sooner.The real treasure of this book is that it allows counselors to see what addiction looks like on the inside. It sheds light on the internal struggle that takes place when one is battling with addiction and describes how a client deals (feels) with victories and defeats. This book also could be very helpful as a resource for clients who are experiencing shame and stigma. Finally, the author’s call for action and advocacy is very inspiring and can help counselors find their place in this movement and advocate for their clients.
by N. Golubovic
Wednesday, February 24, 2016
Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy Childhood 0 J. Carter Sickened: The Memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy ChildhoodBook Being Reviewed: Gregory, J. (2003). Sickened: The memoir of a Munchausen by Proxy childhood. New York, NY: Bantam Dell. Reviewer:Jessica CarterGenre: Memoir/BiographySubject Headings: Trauma, Violence-Domestic Review: This book provides a first-hand account of Munchausen’s by Proxy (currently referred to as Factitious Disorder Imposed on Another in DSM-5) from the viewpoint of a child victim. As I read Julie Gregory's account of her life I felt my facial features contorted by the emotions flowing from the pages...disgust, shock, fear. Some sections were confusing and I became frustrated until I realized this was the exact intent of the author; the writing style mirrors the experience of a manipulated, abused, and uncertain child. Even more remarkable than what she survived is the account of Julie's transformation into an independent adult. She faces her experiences and goes beyond them, using her growth, healing, and personal understanding as a tool for not only self-restoration but the salvation of other children experiencing the same nightmare. Julie’s story is an enlightening example of resilience.Factitious Disorder Imposed on Another is a rare disorder. As such, most professionals will never see a case of either perpetrator or victim. This book may be useful as a case study, a way to gain insight into this specific form of abuse and an otherwise unknown population of victims. It should be noted, this memoir represents only one account and comorbid factors (i.e. paternal physical abuse, substance use) were also present.
by J. Carter
Friday, August 7, 2015
Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation 0 T. Stoner-Harris Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a NationBook Being Reviewed: Kozol, J. (1995). Amazing grace: The lives of children and the conscience of a nation. New York: Crown. Reviewer:Tiffany Stoner-HarrisGenre: Non-Fiction - AdultSubject Headings: Multicultural/Cross-Cultural Issues, Poverty-Urban, Social Justice Review: Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation examines the plight of inner city youth and their families, as the author observed and documented encounters with several individuals from the South Bronx, New York. The author examined some of the social ills that people from the community are routinely faced with, what allows them to be resilient in their current circumstances, and ultimately the nuances that distinguish this particular community from other communities. The author was able to establish relationships with specific children, individuals, and families within the community, and follow them through their journey of survival over a period of years. The author attempted to rationalize and comprehend some of the daily interactions, events and circumstances that occurred. By the end of the book it appeared that the author’s focus shifted, and through his immersion in the community he seemingly began to see the people and their experiences in a more genuine and personal light.This book would be useful for the practicing counselor seeking self-knowledge, and the counselor educator preparing counseling students to increase their awareness and knowledge of counseling diverse groups (social economic status, minority groups, faith based, incarcerated populations, etc.). This book would allow for a glimpse inside some of the experiences and lifestyles of inner city children, individuals or families living in poverty and facing obstacles unlike others outside of their community. This book would be useful in understanding challenges faced in an urban community, as well as some of the strengths that promote hope and resiliency in seemingly desolate situations.
by T. Stoner-Harris
Friday, August 7, 2015
Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy 0 R. DuFresne Love's Executioner and Other Tales of PsychotherapyBook Being Reviewed: Yalom, I. D. (1990). Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy. New York, NY: Perennial Classics.Reviewer:Robin DuFresneGenre: Non-Fiction - AdultSubject Headings: RelationshipsReview: Dr. Irvin Yalom, a renowned psychiatrist and psychotherapist, shares stories from his practice in Love’s Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy. This 286 page book is divided into ten chapters. In each chapter Dr. Yalom’s describes his experience with a client, or clients, who triggers a bias within him that stunts the development of a therapeutic relationship. He discusses his process to reflect and attempt to overcome the bias; he has varied success in each case. Dr. Yalom’s writing style brings life to each client. The chapters are individual stories which can be read separately without detracting from the meaning.Love’s Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy serves as a resource for counselors who are struggling to connect with a client. For beginning counselors, Dr. Yalom’s experience normalizes their first encounter with a client who challenges their abilities. Counselors with significant experience will enjoy the descriptions and reflect on their experiences with challenging clients. I read this book a chapter at a time during my first months as a practicing counselor; I am rereading this book as I teach reflection and basic helping skills to undergraduates. In both circumstances the book has reminded me to be reflective in all of my interactions with people.
by R. DuFresne
Friday, August 7, 2015
Client Issues in Counselling and Psychotherapy 0 K. Purswell Client Issues in Counselling and PsychotherapyBook Being Reviewed: Tolan, J., & Wilkins, P. (Eds.). (2012). Client issues in counselling and psychotherapy. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Reviewer:Katie Purswell Genre: Non-Fiction - AdultSubject Headings: Anxiety Disorders, Depression, Eating Disorders, Grief & Loss, Personality Disorders, PTSD, Self-injurious Behavior, Sexual Abuse, TraumaReview: This slim volume contains a wealth of information about conceptualizing and working with a broad spectrum of clients. Tolan and Wilkins (2012) and the other contributing authors provide a person-centered understanding of issues such as loss, trauma and PTSD, childhood sexual abuse, depression, anxiety, multiple personalities, disordered eating, and self-harm. The authors focus on the origin of each of these issues as well as discussing the underlying meaning the issue has for the client. This in-depth discussion can remind both beginning and experienced counselors of the person with a unique story that lies behind the disorder or issue in focus. Each chapter is succinct, but filled with helpful information and thought-provoking discussions that can help both counselors and supervisors conceptualize clients through a relational lens. In addition to helping counselors understand their clients better, the authors provide case examples and vignettes of actual client situations to illustrate how a counselor might work with a client who struggles with one of the issues above. These real-life examples lend a useful element of practicality to the material. This book is not just for person-centered counselors, but for anyone who wants a new perspective on viewing clients beyond DSM-V diagnostic criteria.
by K. Purswell
Friday, August 7, 2015
The Distance Between Us 0 E. Humphrey The Distance Between UsBook Being Reviewed: Grande, R. (2012). The Distance Between Us. New York, NY: Washington Square Press.Reviewer:Eunice Humphrey Genre: Memoir/Biography Subject Headings: Family Dynamics, Grief & Loss, Multicultural/Cross-Cultural Issues, Poverty-Rural, Racial/Ethnic Identity, Trauma Review: The Distance Between Us is a memoir of the truth behind the immigration issue that is affecting all of us. The author shares her experience of being left in her country with her grandmother and sibling, suffering from separation anxiety, poverty, and not knowing when she would reconnect with her parents. She shares about her experience crossing the boarder to the United States. She talks about the reasons many Latino immigrants dream of coming to the United States. The everyday struggles of living in a third world country and the continual desire to keep ones culture and adapt to the new one. She shares her relationship with her parents, including her mother’s depression, her father’s alcoholic and abusive manner. She shares stories of her siblings and their survival techniques, their adventures, and their loneliness. The book can assist counselors in many ways, especially those working with the immigrant population. Many children, adolescents, and immigrant adults suffer trauma when crossing the border. The book is an exceptional resource as the author does a great job of describing the hardships that are experienced when a child is left behind or the difficulties of crossing the border and then the desire to belong once in the United States. The book covers issues of assimilation, acculturation, and overcoming obstacles that seem impossible to overcome. The book can help counselors become multiculturally aware of the struggles immigrant families face before, during and after the migration.
by E. Humphrey
Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Dreams from My Father 1 K. Purswell This book sounds like it would be great in helping to gain a better understanding of multicultural issues and social justice. I will be buying it!
by C. Barnett
Thursday, April 9, 2015
Alcoholics Anonymous 0 C. Norment Alcoholics AnonymousBook Being Reviewed:Alcoholics Anonymous. (2001). Alcoholics Anonymous (4th ed.). New York, NY: A.A. World Services. Reviewer:Christy Norment Genre:Self-Help Subject Headings:Substance abuse-alcohol  Review:Alcoholics Anonymous, also known as "The Big Book” is the basic text for the AA society. Left essentially unchanged since its first edition was released in 1939, this text contains instructions on how to use the 12-step program. Alcoholics Anonymous also includes 41 personal stories of alcoholics who used the AA program for their recovery. The testimonials include those of the founders of AA and of alcoholics that have come to AA over the years since. Alcoholics Anonymous is mainly written to men and gives detailed information on what alcoholism and the 12-step recovery from alcoholism looks like. It has additional sections that are expressly written to wives and employers of male alcoholics that attempt to bring understanding of alcoholism and the 12-steps. This book gives a comprehensive rationale for the importance of utilizing the 12 steps in treatment along with detailed instructions on how to do so.  Since alcoholism is a significant addiction that presents in counseling, counselors may find it helpful to read the text that many of their clients in recovery are reading or may read. It may provide a deeper understanding of the disease model of alcoholism and what the 12-steps really look like. Besides having a chapter entitled, "To Wives” and none for other types of partners, the text only includes male pronouns, and only refers to alcoholics and those in recovery as men.Originally posted on 1/03/2013 at csi-net.org
by C. Norment
Wednesday, September 17, 2014
The Divorce Helpbook for Kids 0 C. Mobley The Divorce Helpbook for KidsBook Being Reviewed:MacGregor, C. (2001). The divorce helpbook for kids. Atascadero, California: Impact Publishers.Reviewer:Cheryl Mobley Genre:Non-Fiction-Children (10-12 years old) Subject Headings:Divorce, Elementary school, Grief & loss, Middle school, Relationships Review:The Divorce Helpbook for Kids is a very useful tool for children, age 12 and under experiencing the divorce of their parents. This book addresses the concerns and questions that occur with the life-changing event of divorce in a comforting and age-appropriate way. The book addresses practical concerns such as visitation, changes in financial situations, and housing changes. It allows for reflection, as children wonder what happened between their parents and why they can't stay married. Further, it encourages children to hypothesize about what will happen next and what life will look like for them in the future. The section in the book entitled "Parents are Human, Too" addresses some of the mistakes parents make during their divorce process, such as using their children as spies, sending messages to the other parent through the child, or leaning on their children too much.  This book gives practical ways for the child to understand what is going on and how they can get help so they are not placed in the middle of their parents' divorce. From a counseling standpoint, this book provides many talking points pertinent to children of divorce. The language of the book is comforting and gentle, yet to the point. With the prevalence of divorce in our society, this book is a useful tool for anyone who works with children. Originally posted on 1/03/2013 at csi-net.org
by C. Mobley
Lost at School 0 C. Mobley Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help ThemBook Being Reviewed:Greene, R. W., (2008). Lost at school: Why our kids with behavioral challenges are falling through the cracks and how we can help them. New York, NY: Scribner. Reviewer:Cheryl Mobley Genre:Non-Fiction-AdultSubject Headings:Elementary school Review:Lost at School gives a fuller picture of what is behind the socially, emotionally, and behaviorally challenged child. It is a compassionate look at what makes them the way they are and what professionals can do to educate them effectively and teach them to be functioning, contributing members of society. Dr. Greene emphasizes that it is more accurate and useful to think of challenging children and adolescents as lacking important thinking skills. The book highlights other ways to conceptualize the challenging child. Further, it explains that the prevalent positive reward or punishment-based discipline programs found in public schools do not address the root of the issue with challenging children and are ineffective for them. Further, they serve to compound the frustrations these children already feel. Lost at School emphasizes collaboration of the adults in the challenging child's life to figure out what thinking skills are missing, through an evaluation procedure. It then suggests having an adult and child work to resolve the identified problems or unmet expectations in a way that is both realistic and mutually satisfying for everyone. This book provides counselors many examples of dialogues and exchanges between challenging children/adolescents and adults designed to resolve unsolved problems and teach needed skills. Originally posted on 1/03/2013 at csi-net.org
by C. Mobley
Nina Here nor There: My Journey Beyond Gender 1 S. Kneidel This topic is one that I think is very relevant right now but unfortunately there is a lack of resources mental health professionals may rely on to gain insight into the challenges and unique journeys individuals from this population may face. Thank you for your review. I have added this book to my "to-read" list.
by J. Carter
Tuesday, September 15, 2015
Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's 0 A. Metz Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger'sBook Being Reviewed:Robison, J. E. (2007). Look me in the eye: My life with Aspergers. New York, NY: Crown Publishers.Reviewer:Anne MetzReview:John Elder Robison’s memoir Look Me in the Eye is a coming of age story about a young man growing up with undiagnosed Aspergers Syndrome (AS). Dubbed everything from a misfit to a psychopath in childhood, Robison relays his steady transformation into a successful, albeit idiosyncratic, father and husband. Look Me in the Eye records the author’s struggles to forge an identity, to follow his passions, and to connect with others. Of course, none of this came easily. Robison describes the pain and isolation of his childhood and early adult years with an unsentimental, matter-of-factness that is periodically hard to read. Yet, it is in his frank account that Robison challenges one of the common myths about individuals with AS diagnoses: that they are uninterested in relationships. The reality, Robinson assures us, is that those with AS genuinely desire companionship, friendship, and romantic love, despite the difficulty they experience in interpreting the behaviors of others. Like John Elder Robbins, many adults with AS long for meaningful connections with others, but are uncertain how to have these relationships. As counselors working with adults on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum, this book serves as a model for how we can enable people with Aspergers to tap into their unique strengths, such as visual learning, rule-based thinking, and keen observation to overcome these skill deficiencies so that they may better connect with others. Originally posted on 4/11/2012 at csi-net.org 
by A. Metz
Engaging Men in Couples Therapy 0 J. Aronson Engaging Men in Couples Therapy Book Being Reviewed:Shepard, D. S., & Harway, M. (Eds.). (2012). Engaging men in couples therapy. New York, NY: Routledge.Reviewer:Jenifer AronsonReview:Over twenty contributors, who are leading practitioners associated with current therapeutic models including Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy, Imago Relationship Therapy and Integrated Behavioral Couple Therapy, present chapters with in-depth case examples demonstrating their approaches, which included information on how the approached can be adapted to be more male sensitive therapeutically. The ambivalence so many men experience in counseling due to challenges such as masculine gender role stress, stonewalling and withdrawal, performance orientations and sexuality are openly discussed. Special topics of infidelity, cultural diversity, working with veterans and fathering are also addressed. Couples counseling be challenging, and working effectively with the male partner, especially as a female counselor, can be even more challenging. This book is truly valuable in addressing men’s unique needs. This resource is fresh off the press from Routledge and available in paperback for $34.95. It is a part of Routledge’s series on Counseling and Psychotherapy with Boys & Men, which contains many other interesting titles such as Engaging Boys in Treatment and Psychotherapy with Older Men.Originally posted on 3/25/2012 at csi-net.org 
by J. Aronson
Addict in the Family 0 A. Fure Addict in the Family: Stories of Loss, Hope, and RecoveryBook Being Reviewed:Conyers, B. (2003). Addict in the family: Stories of loss, hope, and recovery. Center City, MN: Hazelden.Reviewer:Anna FureGenre:Non-Fiction AdultSubject Headings:Family dynamics, Substance abuse alcohol, Substance abuse drugsReview:Beverly Conyers' Addict in the Family provides support, hope, and a deeper understanding for family members of individuals with addictions. The book provides a combination of educational information, research, and stories that help build an understanding and empathic connection for all readers. Conyers’ portrayal of the experience of addiction for all members of a family is well written, informative, and poignant. Through her writing, the reader journeys through the heartbreak, turmoil, and healing those with an addict in the family know all too well. At the end of this journey, the reader is left with a better understanding of addictive behaviors, the recovery process, ways to support loved ones with an addiction, and ways to support oneself. Addict in the Family can help counselors gain a better general understanding of addiction and a more specific understanding of what it is like for family members. The book is a wonderful personal resource to use when working with parents, children, and other individuals who have a loved one with an addiction. Furthermore, the book can be used as a resource to give to parents of a child with an addiction to help as a source of support and ideas on how to support their child.  Originally posted on 01/01/2012 at csi-net.org
by A. Fure
TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY 0 D. Sturm TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHYBook Being Reviewed:Asher, J. (2007). TH1RTEEN R3ASONS WHY. New York, NY: Penguin Group.Reviewer:Debbie StrumGenre:Fiction-Young Adult (13-18 yeas old)Subject Headings: Middle school Review:Not long after learning his friend had committed suicide, Clay received a package containing 13 audiotapes and two simple rules: you listen and you pass it on. It was her voice, Hannah’s, telling the story of the people, events, missed opportunities, and unheard pleas that culminated in her taking her own life. The back and forth first person style, weaving Hannah’s story and Clay’s experience together, allows the reader to empathize with the child lost and the one who survives.This is highly recommended for anyone who works with adolescents and their families. Perhaps one of the more powerful aspects of this book is its illustration that suicidal ideation frequently evolves through subtle, often hidden, experiences that chip away at hope and at self. These are rarely bright waving red flags. For the young girl in this story, nearly three years of seemingly unconnected events led to a slow and steady erosion of her desire to live. Near the end, the signs became clearer, but the dots were never connected in time. This is a reminder to us as counselors that the path to suicide ideation, attempts, or completion rarely presents in a textbook manner. And it reminds us that taking time to understand and validate each client’s story, being mindful about connecting the dots, and being present enough to truly listen beyond what is said are some of the best ways of preventing suicide.Originally posted on 2/03/2012 at csi-net.org
by D. Sturm
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming 0 K. Kozlowski The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming Book Being Reviewed:Nouwen, H., (1992). The return of the Prodigal Son: A story of homecoming. New York: Image Books.Reviewer:Kelly KozlowskiGenre:SpiritualitySubject Headings:Spiritual journeyReview:Populations:Spirituality, Development, Aging, Relationships, Family counselingHenri Nouwen, a Catholic priest, felt driven to view Rembrandt’s moving representation of the parable the prodigal son. The telling of a story that begins as one mans journey to stand before a beloved painting, becomes an account of one man’s journey to understand himself. The author parallels not only his own life’s journey to that of the prodigal son, but also Rembrandt’s life-journey. A powerful shift in the story takes place early on when it is suggested that the author might also find himself represented in the father figure that embraces the son. Not only are the wounds of the father and the son reflections of his, and our own, woundedness, but so too are the wounds of the elder son and the onlookers. This beautiful metaphor hints at the readers own woundedness safely allowing for self reflection and healing. The power of this small, unassuming book is its ability to speak to us and for us, giving voice to the silent pains we carry. As I read I too found myself longing for the embrace of the Father, yearning to hear Him whisper the words, I am well pleased. I saw within myself the sorrow and longing of the father for the loss of his beloved. I understood within myself the hard conversion of the elder brother and the discontent of the onlookers. As a counselor I came to embrace my wounded spirit, allowing me to better behold the wonder of a living soul. Originally posted on 1/23/2012 at csi-net.org
by K. Kozlowski
Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again 0 M. Dickerson Cracked: Putting Broken Lives Together Again Book Being Reviewed:Pinsky, D. (2003). Cracked: Putting broken lives together again. New York, NY: Harper Collins.Reviewer: Mark Dickerson Genre: Fiction: AdultSubject Headings: Substance abuse: alcohol, substance abuse: drugsReview:Cracked by Dr. Drew Pinsky is a captivating and eye-opening account of based-on-true-stories that exemplify the typical cases Dr. Drew works with in his substance abuse treatment center. While Dr. Drew may seem more of a celebrity now than a doctor, he is incredibly genuine in revealing his emotional reactions to his patients, which demonstrates the human side of both him and of being a substance abuse counselor. The amount of insight in Dr. Drew’s vivid accounts of his typical cases is astounding. I often found myself completely absorbed in the stories, wondering how I would handle the situation as a counselor. I believe that this aspect of the book is a helpful reminder that counselors must be aware of their own emotions when working with clients, especially with addicts that can evoke strong emotions. Another very beneficial aspect of Cracked is that Dr. Drew uses the correct technical medical terms throughout, and while he explains them, he does not "dumb down” the concepts, even as he answers questions that his patients have. I feel that this is excellent for counselors who have a limited knowledge of the physiology behind addiction and can help prepare counselors for questions their clients may have. I highly recommend Cracked to all counselors and especially to substance abuse counselors. Originally posted on 1/01/2012 at csi-net.org
by M. Dickerson
Sign In

Forgot your password?

New Member Registration

Calendar

3/2/2017
Webinar 2017-03-02

3/9/2017
Webinar 2017-03-09

3/18/2017
ACA 2017: CSI Delegate Business Meeting