A previous Exemplar article outlined our policy and procedures for requesting a CSI speaker for chapter initiations. In short, chapters may request assistance through the Headquarters office for a CSI initiation speaker. If approved in advance, CSI will provide up to half of the travel expenses for this purpose. A chapter cannot receive financial support during two consecutive years.
CSI's Academy of Leaders, Scholars and Officers volunteer their time. As a consequence, there are no honoraria expected. No such arrangements will be approved if the presenter is being contracted for workshop or similar for fee services, with or without chapter sponsorship.
Obviously, with over 350 chapters able to make such requests, there are budget constraints and chapters who have participated in this program in the last year are asked to allow others the same opportunity for the coming year. Although not a requirement, a minimum of 12 persons to be initiated is encouraged with the expectation that family, faculty, administrators and friends will be present as well.
Requesting a Speaker
Chapters only need to complete the CSI Speaker Request Form if they are are requesting partial funding for one of the CSI-approved speakers listed below. Otherwise, chapters may invite alumni members, professional counselors from the community, counselor educators, or another relevant speaker as desired; CSI does not provide financial support for speakers other than those listed here.
The appropriate steps to request a speaker are as follows:
- Establish possible dates, and when known, desired presenter.
- Complete the CSI Speaker Request Form
- When notified by Headquarters, contact speaker to complete arrangements.
- Notify Headquarters of reimbursement arrangements.
- Ensure all details are known to the speaker, that the speaker is hosted appropriately and sent a thank you upon completion.
- Use the CSI Speaker Reimbursement Request Form for Chapters to submit receipts to CSI Headquarters. If a speaker must submit receipts directly to CSI Headquarters, the speaker should use the CSI Speaker Reimbursement Request Form for Speakers instead.
Available CSI Speakers
Below are possible speakers for the coming year. We generally try to pair speakers who are geographically nearest the chapter making the request. Please note that none should be contacted without going through Headquarters unless it its unrelated to CSI functions. Each of these distinguished persons has many commitments months ahead. Therefore, plan at least two months in advance to make any request for their participation in an initiation. If you have further questions, please let CSI Headquarters know. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Note: Presenters are only those CSI distinguished persons approved in advance, initially contacted by Headquarters and from whom no other fee for services are expected or provided. Headquarters will contact potential presenters, establish initial agreement and contact the chapter contact with information for follow-up. Due to the busy schedule of the potential presenters, two months advance planning is usually a minimum, sooner is better.
The following are CSI-approved speakers. Click on the names below to learn more about each speaker.
Academy of Leaders for Excellence (all Past-Presidents of CSI)
- Dr. Thomas J. Sweeney, Greensboro, North Carolina (limited availability)
- Dr. Samuel T. Gladding, Winston-Salem, North Carolina (not available at this time)
- Dr. Larry Loesch, Gainesville, Florida
- Dr. Carol L. Bobby, Alexandria, Virginia
- Dr. Judith G. Miranti, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Dr. Courtland C. Lee, Washington, DC
- Dr. Lily Rosqueta-Rosales, The Philippines (not available at this time)
- Dr. June M. Williams, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Dr. Casey Barrio Minton, Knoxville, Tennessee
- Dr. Victoria Kress, North Royalton, Ohio
- Dr. Catharina Chang, Atlanta, Georgia
- Dr. Craig Cashwell, Greensboro, North Carolina
Chi Sigma Iota Executive Council
- Dr. Michael Brubaker, President, The University of Cincinnati
- Dr. Spencer Niles, Past-President, The College of William and Mary
- Dr. Barbara Herlihy, President-Elect, The University of New Orleans
- Dr. Cassie Storlie, Secretary, Kent State University
- Dr. Christine Suniti Bhat, Treasurer, Ohio University
Chi Sigma Iota Staff & Consultants